Musgrave Park and The Greek Club - South Brisbane
21 & 22 May 2011
If you only learn one Greek word, make it Paniyiri.
Brisbane’s Musgrave Park and the Greek Club will become a sea of white and blue flags and Zorba dancing wanna-bes on the weekend of 21 & 22 May.
30 fabulous Greek food stalls will draw the crowds to South Brisbane. Anyone who loves haloumi, honey puffs, baklava, souvlaki or octopus will be in heaven. Plus, Paniyiri is when the ouzo flows.
Zorba dancing is part of the fun and everyone can have a go. The Paniyiri Main Stage in Musgrave Park will host almost 20 hours of entertainment over the weekend, including Zorba Til You Drop and Dancing With The Stars (Greek Style) as well as honey puff and loukoumi (Turkish Delight) eating competitions. Australia’s favourite Greek greengrocer, Con the Fruiterer, will be there too.
In The Greek Club, a full program of cooking demonstrations, film programs and cultural lectures will take place. Now celebrating 35 years of Oopa, Paniyiri is a community initiative of the 25,000-strong Greek community of South East Queensland but also the general community in a celebration in fun, food and friendship.
- Food: Over 30 different food stalls representing the Aegean, Mainland Greece, Cyprus, Crete, Rhodes and more all day Saturday & Sunday.
- Festivities: Rides and games for the young and young at heart all weekend long.
- Fireworks: A spectacular display explodes across the skies of South Brisbane on Saturday & Sunday evenings.
- Zorba Til You Drop: Kick your heels up Greek-style and Zorba until you drop with heats being staged on Saturday & Sunday.
- Dancing With The Stars (Greek Style): Hot on the heels of Channel Seven’s dance phenomenon, comes Paniyiri’s own incarnation which will see local and national personalities dance for their life Greek-style on Saturday.
- Honey Puff & Loukoumi Eating Competitions: Treat your sweet tooth to mountains of mouth-watering honey puffs and Turkish Delight all day Saturday & Sunday.
The Greek Club
- Public Lectures and Greek Films: A feast of knowledge will be delivered through a series of films and public lectures across Saturday & Sunday.
- Greek Orthodox Church of St George: Explore the history and mystique of the renowned South Brisbane Church on Saturday & Sunday.
- Greek Cooking Demonstrations: Learn the culinary secrets behind Greek cuisine with sweet and savoury demonstrations all day Saturday & Sunday. See special guest chef Con the Fruiterer cooking Loukoumi Rolls and Staphyli Glyklo at 3.30pm on Saturday, and My Kitchen Rules Queensland contestants Mal and Bec on Sunday at 2pm.
- Trella: Let loose at the Official Paniyiri After Party with sounds from Brisbane’s own DJ Kossi and special guests.
What you need to know
- Date range: Sat 21 May 2011 – Sun 22 May 2011
- Time: From 12pm Saturday and 10am Sunday
- Where: Musgrave Park and The Greek Club, Edmondstone St, South Brisbane
- How Much: $8 Adult (13+); $2 Aged Pensioners; Children free
- Contact: Paniyiri Greek Club - phone (07 3844 1166) / web (www.paniyiri.com)